Welcome to Wood End Infants Nursery
For many children, starting at our Nursery will be the first time that they have spent time away from their parents. We will work with you to ensure that the transition from home to the school environment is as smooth and trouble-free as possible.
The Nursery is part of a welcoming and happy environment and we know that your children will enjoy spending time with us.
Children will either attend Nursery for a morning or an afternoon session. We endeavour to give parent’s their first choice of session, however, this is not always possible. The times of the sessions are:
Morning Session: 8.45 a.m. – 11.45 a.m.
Afternoon Session: 12.45 p.m. – 3.45 p.m.
Children should be brought to Nursery and collected on time. If you are unavoidably delayed, please contact the school to advise us.
As members of the Healthy School Scheme the children have the opportunity to have an item of fresh fruit every day.
Preparing Your Child for Nursery
We want your child to benefit fully from all the opportunities offered in the nursery. The following suggestions will help to prepare them and ensure good behaviour:
- Talk positively to your child about nursery, discuss the range of activities that are on offer and emphasise the fun they will have.
- Encourage independence when using the toilet, washing hands, dressing and undressing.
- Encourage them to look after belongings and to tidy up at the end of an activity.
- Show them how to handle and respect books and try to read with your child every day.
- Make sure that if your child watches TV that you are in control of the on/off button. Only let your child watch suitable programmes and for a limited amount of time each day.
- Establish good bedtime routines. You will find that your child is tired after attending Nursery, so making sure that they go to bed at a sensible time will help them.
- Please come along to your Play and Stay session at Nursery. This will really help you to understand how the Nursery works and it will also help your child to settle more quickly.
Every child is different, you may find that your child settles on day one and is happy to wave good-bye to you. Other children may need some more reassurance and it maybe necessary for you to stay with your child for all, or part, of the session. We will work with you to help your child feel secure and confident enough to manage without you at nursery.
Always tell your son or daughter when you are leaving and tell them that you will be coming back soon to collect them – some children become very upset when they find that a parent has left without saying goodbye.
Regular and punctual attendance at Nursery is very important as children can become unsettled if they arrive late or miss a number of sessions. If your child is unwell and cannot attend Nursery, please contact the school on the first day of absence. We do have a waiting list for our Nursery and as such, attendance is monitored on a regular basis. If your child fails to attend on a regular basis without a satisfactory explanation he/she may be taken off roll. Please do read our Attendance Policy as it applies to Nursery as well as our full time students (click here to view our Attendance Policy).
Parents in the Nursery
Parents are always welcome in the Nursery and your help is very much appreciated. This could be accompanying us on a local visit to the library, reading with the children or helping on days when we are cooking. We run a number of workshops within the Nursery where you can come and learn with your child, dates will be sent out throughout the year.
One final plea, please make sure that your child has their book bag in school every day as they will have reading books, letters and home learning on various days. We would ask that you check your child’s book bag every day too to see what has been sent home.
We look forward to welcoming you and your child into our Nursery and to the development of a partnership with you in the education of your child.